Sunday, February 3, 2013

Time Heroes of Fate - Layout Decisions


I'm finding myself extremely indecisive in regards to the design for Time Heroes of Fate. I want to put together a nice all-encompassing document that could be its own thing once the OGL goes into effect. However, I'm finding that I can't decide how to do it together.

My initial thought was to have an introductory chapter that goes into the basics of Fate Core and how it works. From there I'd move into Time Heroes of Fate itself. I'd mix setting and rules and go over everything in relation to Time Heroes.

However, then I started thinking about the fact that I would basically be reiterating the same rules. I'd be going over them in the Introduction to Fate Core and then again in the rulebook proper. On the flip side, wouldn't it be a good idea to give some sort of an introduction to the system itself before diving into the game proper?

Now I'm starting to think that maybe I should just give a synopsized version of the Fate Core rules. Maybe I can use the Introduction to talk about the extreme basics of Fate Core; talk about aspects, the Fudge dice, Stunts, etc. Instead of going into detail like I originally intended, just leave it to the generalities (so don't talk about teamwork, etc) and leave everything else to the Time Heroes of Fate rules.

Still, I can't make up my mind. So this is where I come to the few people who actually read this silly blog. What do you guys think would work for the layout for Time Heroes of Fate? The choices as I see them now are these:


  • Full Fate-on in the intro. This will allow people to understand the game and possibly even run it without the Time Heroes setting, though I'd be essentially going over rules twice.
  • General Fate overview in the intro. In this case, I'd be going over the basics of fate, but leaving out any of the advanced or in-depth items until getting to the Time Heroes of Fate rulebook proper.
  • No rules overview in the intro. In this case I'd just mention Fate in the intro, maybe talk about the Fate dice, then go from there right into Time Heroes of Fate and introduce everything via the rulebook proper.
Of course there may be another option I haven't thought of, so please, chime in with thoughts/suggestions!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts