Monday, January 14, 2013

Time Heroes - Fate Adaptation - A Correction on Franchise Consequences


After yesterday's post, a reader pointed out some issues he had reconciling what I'd written about Franchise Conflicts/Consequences and the feel of a Fate game. His questioning was spot on and so today, I am not only going to go into details on an additional mechanic for Time Heroes of Fate - Franchise Conflicts - but also make a correction.

Franchise Consequences
Instead of having the same named consequence boxes that a character would have, Franchises instead have four consequence boxes. Once all four boxes are filled, a fifth Franchise Conflict-inspired consequence will put that Franchise "out of business" as detailed in my last post.

The reasoning behind removing the titles is because it was pointed out to me that if the Franchise Conflicts happen at the story level, they'll more or less be happening parrallel to the milestones and therefore they won't add any excitement to the game. Basically, a consequence would be gained and could immediately be written off.

My new plan for this mechanic is this:

At the end of each game session, there is a Franchise Conflict. Should the Franchise fail against the attacker, it will gain a consequence (the title of which should seem a logical result of the kind of attack).  Under the Franchise Milestone idea, everything will play out the same except that consequences can only be renamed during a Significant or Major Milestone and even then, only one consequence may be renamed.

I have an an idea for an additional Franchise Milestone rule in which on top of what I just mentioned a PC would have to forego renaming their OWN consequences to rename one Franchise Consequence during a given milestone. I'm not sure if that's too much or not. I'm going to try playing without it first and see how that works.

This is a brief post. As stated yesterday it's been a hectic day so I'm afraid I couldn't get to my Franchise Conflict mechanics. But hey, at least i got SOMETHING relevant up today and keep your eyes peeled tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts